Wednesday, September 8, 2010

To Thyself Be True

Socrates famously said, "To Thyself Be True." Smart dude (albeit he was a little nutty, and by the looks of his picture, could use some sleep and a shave; but I think that was the trend back then.)  More recently, Harvard Business Review published an awesome article titled: For A Better Career - Look Inward. When you have time, I recommend that you give the article a thorough read. After all, it could play a big role when it comes to thriving.

In the meantime, here's the low down: To succeed at work, and life for that matter, you must first start with yourself.  While that might sound somewhat selfish or egocentric - it's not. After all, you can't be others oriented, let alone a servant leader - if you are not a "self-assessing" person yourself.

So, what are some of the key suggestions to help us better assess ourselves, well:

1) Reflect (think about who you are and whats going on)
2) Ask for feedback (get others people's opinions, even those you don't like)
3) Be honest about your shortcomings (in play on Jack Nicholson's famous quote from the movie A Few Good Men: you can handle the truth)
4) Highlight your contributions to the bottom line (its important to keep score)
5) Describe the ares in which you improved your shortcomings (personal and professional growth is evolutionary, not revolutionary; we should always e improving)
6) Don't be a thunder stealer (give credit where credit is do)

In addition to those recommendations, the article also suggests that we should think about the following questions as well: Is what I'm doing working? How can I make it better? Am I realistic about my capabilities? Have I fallen into any unproductive habits? Is any behavioral problem like temper, disconnectedness, undue optimism or unneeded anxiety getting in the way? Am I capitalizing on my strengths and correcting my weaknesses? Am I focusing on my priorities? Am I modeling the self-awareness that I expect of others? Am I studying the competition and the customers intently but neglecting to look inward?

Indeed, that's a boatload of stuff to think about. But the good news is, you don't have to get it done all at once. Take your time; be patient and have fun. What you don't want to is ignore it. That's a negative.

Self-assessment is a practiced skill. It takes time.  More so, it takes work.  How you choose to accept that work, is up to you.

Self-Assessment is Good.