Sunday, June 28, 2009

Yes Miley - It's The Climb (And How We Climb)

At the risk of losing my manly-man card (heck, I lost that a long time ago), and getting kicked out of the manly-man club (come to think of it, I never was a member) - let me just say that I'm a big fan of Miley Cyrus.

More truth be told (and more trouble with the manly-man club; they'll never have me now) - I like the television show Hanna Montana, and yea, I even cried at the Hanna Montana movie. (I credit that one to being a dad, to my 8 year old daughter).

With my membership in the Miley Cyrus/Hanna Montana fan club in mind - it stands to reason that I would like the hit Miley Cyrus song The Climb. And I do! I really do! In fact, I know the words now, and sing it loud and proud - much to the embarrassment of my son. And while I like the song (really, I do) - and the lyrics to the song, I'd like to add a few more thoughts to accompany the song, and help with "the climb."

Indeed, while life is a "climb" - I think its important to keep in mind some attributes to help us with the climb. After all, while we don't know what we will find at the end, let alone along the way - it's not a bad idea to be prepared as best we can, as it might help us avoid some pitfalls, trip-ups, and twisted ankles - let alone snakes, bears and all sorts of nasty critters that we might encounter on our continuous, never ending, climb.

So, here's a laundry list of things that we should strive to be along our climb:

Positively pragmatic, diplomatic, persistent and persevering, agreeable, unassuming, calm, polite, good-humored, exciting and excited, helpful, thoughtful, competitive, steady, brave, self-starting, conscientious, earnest, flexible, resolute, tolerant, spirited, cheerful, inclusive, congenial, patient, responsive, happy, loving, others-oriented, curious, accountable, passionate, and more (quite frankly, lots more).

No doubt - that's a lot of stuff. And believe it or not, the actual list is waaaaaay longer than that. But, that will do, for now. After all, the point of the list is to accentuate that the physical aspect of the climb is undoubtedly a big part of the climb. However - the mental, emotional, and spiritual part is just as important. If not more.

You see, on the climb, everything matters. Especially your:

Perspective, Attitude, Aptitude and Mindfulness (PAAM).

The (PAAMful) Climb is Good.