Monday, June 8, 2009

Feeling Blue? Think 9:02

Last week, on a business trip to Oklahoma City - I was fortunate to visit the Oklahoma City National Memorial - which honors the victims, survivors, rescuers, and all who were changed forever from the horrific Oklahoma City bombing. (BTW: The picture on the left was taken from my phone. It's a statue of Jesus, with the words: "And Jesus Wept." Very moving, to say the least.)

If I could describe the experience in one word: IMPACTFUL.

While the memorial itself is astonishing, and purposeful - the timing of my visit, given my "attitude" that day - made it all that more meaningful. You see, I was having one of those days where everything seemed like a burden, and a bother. In addition to being bummed, and peeved at (too) many things - I was also experiencing a selfish, oh-whoa-is-me episode. Yea, it happens; but shame on me for letting it happen.

But shortly after arriving at the memorial, it dawned on me that I was being totally, absolutely, positively selfish, petty, and inappropriate given the reality of why the memorial is here: which of course is to honor the death of 168 people, killed at 9:02 am on April 19, 1995. (BTW: The next picture shows the grounds where there are chairs representing the men, woman and children killed that day. Again, incredibly moving.)

I realized that given all the wonderful blessings in my life - what right did I have to be so small, and petty, especially when you consider all of those lives lost, and those lives forever changed, on that sad sad day. For me to feel "blue" about such little things, in the big scheme of things - given what happened in 1995 at 9:02 - is wrong, and frankly, shameful. Really.

At the memorial, the following words are written; let's all take them to task.

"WE COME HERE TO REMEMBER THOSE WHO WERE KILLED, THOSE WHO SURVIVED AND THOSE CHANGED FOREVER. MAY ALL WHO LEAVE HERE KNOW THE IMPACT OF VIOLENCE. MAY THIS MEMORIAL OFFER COMFORT, STRENGTH, PEACE. HOPE AND SERENITY."

Selfishness, Spite, Shallowness, and Pettiness are Bad.

Comfort, Peace, Hope, and Serenity Are Good.