Thursday, November 13, 2008

Listen Up!


Yesterday, I had the absolute pleasure of speaking to several hundred high school students, and almost one hundred K-12 teachers. And while this was hopefully a positive, meaningful and edu-taining experience for the audience (he writes humbly ;), it was extremely impactful to me. You see, I wrote Pocket PorchLights (http://www.pocketporchlights.com/) to help young adults succeed at business and life - while at the same time, helping their teachers, employers and families enjoy more happiness, compassion, and success.

That's the cause.

And when I get the chance to talk about the book's purpose on stage, in front of hundreds of people, and see them inspired and appreciative of this purpose (he writes humbly again ;), well, it makes me happy. Not only that, but it recharges my proverbial batteries.
It does.

You see, work and life are incredibly hectic. And we don't get enough time to have good talks, but more important, to do good listening. And while I'm doing most of the talking at these events - I am listening: to their eyes; their expressions; their body language; and yes, even their minds, and their hearts. In a word, I listen to their VIBE. (Now go on and feel free to start singing the Beach Boys song Good Vibrations; I know you want to.)
With that in thinking in mind, allow me to be pose this philosophical suggestion (kind of like my main man stoic philosopher, Epictetus): We need to listen, even when nothing is said.

Listening is good.