Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting Clarity Through My Rear View Mirror

Last weekend, me and my familia did a boatload of driving. (Boy, did we ever.)  And as I'm sure you can appreciate - fellow summertime road warriors - it wasn't always fun.  Because most of the time, the weather was storming; traffic was infuriating; directions were lacking; bladders were over-activating, and the car was like claustrophobing (work with me on the wording and the rhyming). 

Sure, you been there/done that too, right!? 

So admittedly, while driving, I didn't always have that cool and breezy summer time easy vibe going on.  Quite the contrary.  But a funny thing happened at the height of my self-induced pity, pain and frustration.  You see, I did a double-take when looking back in my rear view mirror.  In the bowels of my selfish, oh-whoa-is-me temperament - I noticed something that I previously took for granted: the smiling faces of my two terrific kids bopping their heads to the music on the radio (and yeah, pushing each others buttons at the same time; all good nonetheless).

The fact that they were safe and happy, along with my wonderful wife sitting next to me in the front seat, made me realize that what matters most, and the purpose for being in that car in the first place, was about us. Not me.  And in that moment, it was like BAMM - I had an instantaneous change of heart.  I really did.

Thanks to that moment-of-truth ... with the good Lord tapping me on the shoulder and helping to eradicate  my super stinky attitude ... I went from acting like an unappreciative, scowling, selfish nutty goober ... to appreciating what I always should appreciate, even in trying times: my family, and time spent with my family.  (Albeit I probably won't lose the nutty goober side; that's kinda in my DNA.)

While it goes without saying, it still needs to be said:  let's cherish our family - whenever, wherever, however we can.  Hopefully for the most of us, that's more of a reminder, than a rebuke.   

Family Is (better than) Good; Its Greeeeeaaat!