Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Smarts or Street Smarts (Why Not Both!?)

If I had a nickle for every time I've heard someone rationalize that their keen sense of knowing and intelligence comes from being "street smart" (versus book smart, I assume) - well, I'd have me enough money to buy a triple grande, no whip, mocha chip cappuccino (although, I don't think my choice of morning beverage does much for my street creed).

In other words, if you correlate my fufu/fiffy drink to the expense-side math, there's lots of folks who have boasted to me about their S over B factor. And why? Is one really better than the other? Or cooler? Or edgier? Or whateverer? And why does one have to be over the other? Like it's superior? Or better? Or whateverer.  That's why I call BS, to the SB.

The reality is: both are good. In unison. Partnership. Matrimony. BUT, if you actually have to put one ahead of the other, well then, it's simple: books smarts trump street smarts. After all, books are an incredibly cost-effective, safe and efficient way to learn, and learn lots. And they don't come with all the concerns that come from the street. 

So, for all those hipsters that thinks it's hipper to be street than books - think again. Because at the end of the day, our goal is wisdom. And wisdom comes from paying attention to all sources. Especially books. So if asked, tell 'em you're book smart AND street smart. Better yet, don't tell them anything; be book smart and street smart without the fanfare, and let your wisdom from both, show through in how you work, live and achieve.  To play off/on the pedestrian cliche: walk the talk; don't talk the walk. 

Smarts Are Good (Wherever They Come From)