Saturday, April 24, 2010

Got A System?!



If I had a dime (heck, let's only make it a paltry little penny) for every gung-ho entrepreneur that lacks a tangible, trustworthy system - I'd be Google-like rich. Now, when I say system, I mean that they don't have a "stratical" (for those keeping score at home, that's a hybridization of strategic and tactical) system to help them effectively establish, define, operate, grow, and keep score.

Sure - they might have a phenomenal concept/product, unbridled energy, guts like Rocky, and passion up the wazzo - but without clear direction ... guided, managed, and measured by an accountable and trustworthy system ... then it's set to fail, or at the very least, frustrate and imperil due to a lack of traction.

If this sounds like you, or someone you know - the good news is there's help. And its relatively easy, and incredibly cheap. For my money - and having read dozens of "how-to" books - I'm a raving fan of Gino Wickman's book Traction: Get a Grip on Your Business, and his Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS). Wickmans got a practical system for companies to clarify, simplify, unify and achieve their vision. More important - their success. The system is built around the idea that every issue goes back to one of six fundamental components: People, Vision, Data, Issues, Process, and Traction. As no-duh as that sounds, check back to my opening sentence. As the expression goes: easier said, then done.

Here's the deal: while I may not agree with everything Wickman thinks (what's new, right), he's got the best "pre-fabe system" that I've ever seen, especially for early/growth-stage entrepreneur-led companies. It's simple, yet powerful. Comprehensive, yet concise. Big, yet small. I dig it. But lest you think I'm just gonna write about it - think again. I'm going to implement his EOS in our next investment. In fact, it's already in motion. And I'll bet you this: its gonna work - or I'll eat a bug: a big, hairy, nasty, ugly bug. Yuck!

Good Systems Are Good. (Eating Yucky Bugs Are Bad.)