Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Oreo Word


There's this word. It's a big word. A good word. It's a word that's both ubiquitous and stealth; over-used and under-used; tangible and intangible; bold and subtle. Given it's diverse impressions and interpretations - one would argue that we're not all on the same page with regard to what the word really means. Why it's used. And what it's all about.

It's an enigma, indeed. (Would that be a wordigma?)

Now, being such an important and worthy word - I thought we could use some remedial schooling on said word - just to make sure that we are all on the same page. So, in the spirit of school spirit (you know the drill: "we got spirit, yes we do, we got spirit - how 'bout you.") - this is a repeat after me chant.

Ready. Get-Set. Go.

Give me an H ("H!"). Give me a U ("U!"). Give me an M ("M!"). Give me an A ("A!). Give me N ("N!"). Give me an I ("I!"). Give me a T ("T!"). Give me an A ("A!"). Give me an R ("R!"). Give me an I ("I!"). Give me an A ("A!"). Give me an N ("N!"). Now what's that spell!!??

HUMANITARIAN!!!

What's that spell!!

HUMANITARIAN!!!

What's that mean??

Well, think of it like an Oreo cookie, with the top of the cookie being compassion, the bottom of the cookie being fellowship, and the creamy filling made up of kindness, humility, mindfulness, courtesy, empathy, attentiveness, active listening, others-oriented, passion, spirituality, giving and integrity. Even better - partner it up with an ice cold glass of milk (lets call this a metaphor for friends and family) - and you've got a tasty treat.

Word!

Humanitarian is Good.