Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Will You Be There, Person In The Mirror?

I enjoyed an absolutely awesome run today. Truly, it was my longest, best, and most satisfying run of the summer. Along the way (make that, leading the way), I was accompanied, and inspired, by two Michael Jackson songs: Will You Be There, and Man In The Mirror. I played both songs, back-to-back-to-back-to-back, 12 times over. Call it my little tribute to Michael.

I know, some wonder if a tribute, large or small, is fitting - given the "issues." Frankly, I'm gonna pass on that one, and give him his dues. Sure, he was a complicated guy. So talented; and yet, so challenged. Think of him what you will, the undeniable fact is, he had an extra-ordinary life. Really, there was nothing "ordinary" about his world. What strikes me the most however - given all of the footage, media coverage and "life-lights" that I've seen of Michael over the last week - is just how restless and un-peaceful his life seemed to be. Frankly, my head spins just thinking about it. So, say what you will, and think what you think - you have to agree that given the life that he lived, let him at least rest-in-peace. R.I.P Michel. R.I.P.

Now, on the less controversial musical front, I do enjoy lots of his songs (he unabashedly admits). And like I wrote earlier, I get pumped by many of his songs, especially, well, you know which two. And on my run today, in a deeper and more satisfying way then ever before, the words to both songs really hit home for me. Most of all, it hit me that by joining the two songs together - it gave me a thought to rev up my pace; run a little harder, and more so hopefully, drive purpose to my life, in that yes ... I WILL be there ... man in the mirror.

Specifically, I WILL be there for my family, my friends, and all of those who need and depend on me. That's my purpose, and it starts with me. As Michael sang himself: "Gonna make a difference ... Gonna make it right ... That's why I want you to know ... I'm starting with the man in the mirror."

How about you?

Will YOU be there - person in mirror?

Being There is Good.