Thursday, March 5, 2009

UnAnswered Prayers (And Props to Garth)

So the other morning, I'm driving to the office: slowing up/slowing down; flipping through the radio; looking at the blackberry; juggling my coffee; flipping through the radio; thinking hard/hardly thinking; changing lanes; flipping through the radio; when BAM - it hits me:

No, not another car or anything like that; but impactful none the less. Believe it or not, I had happened upon the bitter-sweet Garth Brooks ballad, Unanswered Prayers. And man, I listened to the song, and lyrics, like I never listened to it before. Brought a lump to my throat; moisture to my eyes.

Yea, I know what your saying: "What What!? Dude, that's kinda lame, and like, not even old-school, retro cool." Whatever; I still liked it. And mostly I liked it because it made me think about how true that expression is -and how it applied to my life. Don't know what it was about that song at that moment, but I really personalized it to my life as it is now.

You see, right before I met my wife, I was going to join the CIA, and with any luck, be stationed in Europe, where I did most of my growing up. No kidding, I pined/yearned/romanced/longed-for, and literally prayed for a CIA gig where I could be one part Abbott, one part Bond (neither shaken nor stirred). True Story.

Well, suffice it to say, my prayers went unanswered; thankfully. Now, rather than being a cool, secret agent spy man, living in exotic locations, saving the world and getting all the babes - I'm now a cool (if i say so myself), visibly active family man, working for a loving, living in a suburb, with one smokin' babe (uh yea, that would be my wife), two fantastic kids, a dog, a cat, two frogs, and a hamster. Truly ... I'm one happy, blessed guy. And I still get to live vicariously as a spy through the movies. Talk about a package deal.

So you see gang, sometimes, unanswered prayers are good. Even better, is that genuine, heartfelt, compassionate, others-oriented prayers can and should be asked, and hopefully get answered. Pretty neat how that works out.

Prayers Are Good (Even the unanswered).