Saturday, January 10, 2009

Zen-Zones (Even in a Bookstore)

One Saturday every month, I go to a bookstore to hang out, browse, drink green tea, and yeah, you guessed it, buy books. (I'm a wild and crazy guy!) Mostly, I do this because I'm a big fan of lifelong learning, self development, and reading good books. Be those books on business, life, leadership, management, spirituality, health, history, current affairs, politics, sociology, and before you go thinking I'm one boring dude, lots of stuff that's just fun and entertaining to read.

Thanks to my most recent bookstore voyage, I'm now enjoying a scrumptious, bountiful feast of four books, from four genres. You see, I like to keep my reading diverse, and plentiful. Now, in addition to reading good books for the many upsides that good books provide - the time spent in the bookstore itself, is an invigorating, meditative, therapeutic experience. You see ... well ... I sorta .... how-do-I-put-this ... well ... I ... Zen-out; go into my own little, feel-good, Zen-Zone world (sans Hogwarts and Dementors) - only to reenter the bright lights and noise of the Muggles store when I pay my tab, and realize the expense of my momentary Zen. And boy, sometimes the expense is a real doozy. Talk about a bitter/sweet, yin/yang thing! But hey, nobody ever said that learning, personal development, and the pursuit of "Zen-Zones" is cheap - let alone quick, or easy. It's not. But I look at the expense of time and money - as an investment, not a cost.

Zen-Zones Are Good